Technical regulation of the Eurasian Customs Union (TR CU) 018/2011 is a list of standards to ensure the safety of wheeled vehicles that harmonize with the UNECE international regulations resulting from the World Agreements adopted in Geneva in 1958 and 1998 and concluded in Vienna in 1997.
The Geneva documents focus on international rules and regulations for wheeled vehicles, including equipment, components, and spare parts. The Vienna Agreement aims at mutual recognition and uniform conditions for periodical technical inspections of wheeled transport.
What does TR CU 018/2011 cover?
The technical regulation covers wheeled vehicles of categories L (<4 wheels), M (>4 wheels – people), N (>4 wheels – goods), and O (trailers, semi-trailers), chassis, and other vehicle components affecting their safety.
Technical regulation DOES NOT COVER wheeled transport:
- Up to 25 km/h maximum speed due to design features
- Taking part in sports competitions
- Categories L and M1 (9 seats) over 30 years old
- Categories M2 (9 seats, max. 5 tons), M3 (9 seats, min. 5 tons), and N over 50 years old not used in the commercial transportation of goods and passengers if they have retained or acquired their original condition after the restoration
- Imported in the EAEU for temporarily up to 6 months
- Imported into the territory of the Russian Federation as personal property of refugees and resettled persons
- Heavy goods off-road
- Diplomacies employees’ transport (and their relatives’ transport)
Application for the import into the Customs Union is available only for wheeled transport, which has passed conformity assessment with the requirements of the TR CU 018/2011.
EAC Certification of Conformity
The EAC Certificate of Compliance with the requirements of the Technical Regulation of the Customs Union TR CU 018/2011 is a guaranteed possibility of wheeled vehicles and components unimpeded entry into Russia and the EAEU member countries. The process goes as follows:
- Collection and analysis of essential documentation
- Identification and conduct of a series of laboratory tests
- Results fixation
- EAC Certificate creation and registration of conformity in the special control authorities’ sources
However, any activity with previously used motor vehicles on wheels is not possible on the territory of Russia and EAEU without a universal vehicle type approval OTTS confirming its design safety.
To ensure the safety of vehicles within the territory of Russia and the Customs Union, the main requirements of the technical regulation prohibit the following:
- Usage of previously used components in cars, trucks, etc. (except for personal use)
- Installation of the structures, on transport categories M1 and N1, made from steel and other materials with similar safety features horizontally extending outside the bumper line
- Presence of ozone-depleting substances from the list approved by the EAC Commission.
The following information for the application to Sercons is required:
- Application form for the EAC Certification or Declaration of Conformity
- Description of the vehicle and its components
- An evidentiary basis is available to certify compliance of the subject of certification with applicable regulations.
As soon as the component meets all the requirements of the technical regulation TR CU 018/2011, it is certified, and an EAC Marking is placed on the part or its packaging.